Saturday, December 3, 2011

BAKED Sunday Mornings: Baked French Toast


This recipe intrigued me, first because it seemed pretty easy and second because I was pretty unsure about what it might look like.  Would it be French Toast or would it be more bread pudding.  Turns out it was much more bread pudding like and pretty good.  I thought the flavor could have been a little stronger, but I'm not sure what else it needed.

I made two changes to the recipe.  First, I left out the almonds because I don't like nuts in baked goods.  Second, I made blackberry sauce because that is what I could find in the supermarket.  Then, I made a salted caramel sauce that I thought would also be good with the blackberry and the combination was delicious.

This would make a good addition to brunch (just remember that it has to sit in the fridge for 8 hours or more before baking).  Check out the recipe and the other bakers here

5 comments:

  1. Oh, now I wish I'd added salted caramel sauce to my baked French toast...terrific idea. I'm really into caramel these days; it's getting right up there with chocolate! Enjoyed your post and love the blackberry idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the flavor was lacking too and wish I had been clever enough to think of adding caramel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious sounding flavor combination. Maybe I'll give your version a go sometime... it looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color of your sauce is such a rich, lovely color! What a great idea to combine blackberry and salted caramel sauce together. It just sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmm, salted caramel! I'm so impressed with all of the various little tweaks that folks came up with this week! I can only imagine how delicious this was!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails