Friday, March 4, 2011

For a Good Cause, Part 2: Red Velvet




The baking for the bake sale continues. I have to say, I have really given Sarah a run for her money these week, and I also have to say, I don't know how she bakes so much because I am totally exhausted. Whew.

Anyway. One of the things that was exciting about this week was I got my first two commissions-- I bake something, and the recipients make a donation to AJWS. Awesome! One of the students here had a birthday on Sunday, so two of her (and my) friends offered to pay me to make a dessert for her. The choice? Red velvet.

As you might know from reading this blog, the baking sisters have a complicated relationship with red velvet. I often find that it is very complicated to make, extremely messy, and not always worth it in terms of taste. In fact, the most successful red velvet cake I've ever made has been from a Dunkin Hines mix. However, I was game for the adventure, and they turned out pretty well.

Yes, red velvet is very messy. This is not the recipe to make in your black tie clothing. However, this version, from the new Kosher by Design was pretty good. It was moist and light. So if you're up for the challenge, I recommend.

And in other news, so far the bake sale fundraising has been very successful. Want to help out? Click here to learn more and donate!

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Cupcakes:
2 ½ cups flour
½ cocoa
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup milk
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda

Frosting:
1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 cupcake tines with paper liners.

Mix flour, cocoa and salt.

Beat the butter until it is fluffy. Then add the sugar and beat until well blended. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix after each one. Add the sour cream, milk, vanilla and food coloring.

In a separate bowl, mix the vinegar and baking soda. Add it to the batter and mix until just blended. Then add the flour mixture.

Divide into baking cups and bake for 20-22 minutes.

Once the cupcakes are cool, mix the frosting ingredients until well blended. Spread over cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails