Friday, May 4, 2012

Adventures with the Ice Cream Maker: Salted Caramel Ice Cream


In case you didn't notice, the obsession with the iPhone camera continues.  Oh Instagram, how I love you.  As a side note, my husband, the historian, hates all the photo manipulation software because he thinks it creates an inaccurate historial record.  Since I don't think anyone is going to use this blog as a historical artifact, I am pretty sure I'm safe with my photos.

Now, onto the food.  This ice cream came about in a kind of round-about way.  A while back, I made some salted caramel brownies (which I don't think I ever got a chance to photograph and post about.  Maybe I'll make them again) and I made more caramel sauce than the recipe called for.  It sat in the fridge for a long time and then I decided I had to do something with it.  My first thought for using up ingredients is often ice cream, so I went looking for a recipe.  

Most salted caramel ice creams want you to make the caramel first, from their recipe, but since I had the sauce, I simply heated it up and added it to an ice cream base.  The result was a very smooth and creamy ice cream, but it didn't have a ton of salted caramel flavor.  I assume if I had made it from the recipe, it might have been more caramely, but it was delicious nonetheless.  You can find the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails