Tuesday, March 8, 2011

For a Good Cause, Part 3: Raspberry Crumble Bars




I have to say, by the time Wednesday night rolled around and I needed to make these raspberry crumble bars from Kosher By Design: Short on Time, I was not interested in baking anymore. (It was my tenth batch of baked goods in four days.) However, AJWS bake sale week prevails, so bake I did. Due to my mood, I was not efficient in the kitchen, so these ended up taking a very long time. The dough was too dry, so I added more milk, but then it was too wet and I couldn't get it to spread thinly enough to cover the pan, so I had to make another half batch of dough. I love jam, though, so I was hoping that the final product would be worth the trouble.

It was! Although these were not the most beautiful things I've ever made, they were delicious. And they sold out-- making them a success all around. See the recipe below, and click here to support the bake sale week efforts!



UPDATE: Bake Sale week was a success! Over the course of the week, my fellow classmates bought (or donated) $170 worth of baked goods. Thanks to everyone for your support!

Raspberry Crumble Bars

Bars:
1 ½ cups flour
½ cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
1 large egg
3 tablespoons light cream or soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (11-14 oz) jar good quality preserves

Crumble:
¾ cup flour
½ light brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup margarine or butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper.

Mix all of the wet ingredients and the sugar. Blend. Add the dry ingredients and mix. The dough will be slightly crumbly.

Put the dough at the bottom of the baking pan. (It will be a thin layer.) Spread the jam evenly over the dough.

Mix the crumble toping together and sprinkle evenly over the jam.

Bake for 40 minutes, or until the crumble turns medium brown. Allow bars to cool completely, and then cut and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails