Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What's Black and White and Sweet All Over? Zebra Cookies!


Yes, I have been an absent delinquent. Many apologies. Unfortunately, crazy summer school and many jobs left me no time for baking in June, but now it's almost July and I'm back! For my grand reappearance, I chose to make the zebra cookies from Kosher By Design Short on Time. These cookies are really easy to make, and I also love how they look. However, they're a little too chocolately for me, so I don't know if I would make them again.

A couple of things. First, the recipe calls for them being made huge-- it says to roll them out bigger than golf balls. I made them considerably smaller and they still grew a lot in the oven. Also, you have to coat the cookies very heavily in the confectioners sugar, otherwise they absorb the sugar while they cook. Enjoy!

GIANT ZEBRA FUDGE COOKIES

1/2 cup canola OR vegetable oil

2 cups granulated sugar

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup good-quality Dutch process cocoa powder (such as Droste brand)

4 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 teaspoons baking powder

Powdered sugar

Line 2 large cookie sheets or jelly-roll pans with parchment paper. Set aside. In bowl of an electric stand mixer, mix oil, granulated sugar, flour, cocoa powder, eggs, vanilla and baking powder, until a soft dough forms. Roll dough into 18 balls slightly larger than golf balls.

Fill a small bowl with powdered sugar and stir with a fork to break up any clumps. Place balls, one at a time, in bowl of powdered and toss to coat heavily and completely. Transfer to prepared pans. Leave room between dough balls, as the cookies spread during baking.

Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven 18 minutes. If you like, you can make smaller cookies; form walnut-sized balls and bake 12 minutes. Cool completely.

Makes 18 large cookies

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree that these are SUPER easy to make and yet taste great and are visually appealling. I make them whenever we are having a large group, especially with many kids, since the recipe makes plenty of cookies and people love them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails