Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Grown Up Hot Fudge Sundae: Milk Chocolate and Burnt Sugar Ice Cream


I often wish I could be part of Tuesdays with Dorie, a baking group that bakes something from Baking from My Home to Yours every week.  However, the every week baking commitment is too much for me.  I just can't make that kind of commitment to baking from Dorie's book, much as I love it.  However, I often check out the group to see what they are making and I follow a bunch of blogs that are part of the group and I love seeing what they make.

This week, the recipe was burnt sugar ice cream from page 432 of Baking and I was looking for an ice cream flavor to make and decided to give it a try.  Both my husband and I liked this ice cream (a rarity in the chocolate/non-chocolate divided house).  It has a strong, complex flavor with a little bit of bitterness.  This is not ice cream for children.  You can find the recipe here, on the blog of the person who chose it for Tuesdays with Dorie.

I thought the ice cream could use a little something to compliment the flavor.  Dorie suggests a sugar cookie, but I decided to try hot fudge, which I have been wanting to try making anyway.  I tried Dorie's recipe and it was so good. Rich and thick and chocolaty, and it hardened just the right amount when it touched the ice cream.  I thought the flavors of the burnt sugar and the hot fudge went really well together.

I also had some milk chocolate ice cream in the freezer, left over from when we were supposed to have people over but had to cancel because of sick children.  I put some of that in the bowl as well.  The milk chocolate ice cream has a pretty mild flavor, but I thought the burnt sugar actually brought out the milk chocolate flavor well.  And chocolate ice cream with hot fudge is always good in my book.  The recipe is from David Lebovitz (my personal ice cream guru).  He says to use a premium quality milk chocolate (not a Hershey bar or something like that).  I used Scharffenberger, which has just appeared in my grocery store and it worked well.  I thought it had really good flavor.

You can find the recipes after the jump.
Dorie's Hot Fudge Sauce



Yield: 1 1/4 cups


Ingredients:
● 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut in to 8 pieces
● 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
● 3/4 cup heavy cream
● 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
● 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
● 1/4 tsp salt
Directions:
Set a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water put the butter in the bowl, top with the chocolate and heat, stirring once or twice, until the ingredients are melted. Keep the heat very low- you don’t want to the mixture to get so hot that the butter and chocolate separate. Transfer the bowl to the counter when the mixture is smooth.
In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, stir together the cream, corn syrup, sugar, and salt, then bring to a boil. Boil for one minute and remove the pan from the heat.
Pour about one quarter of the hot cream over the chocolate and, with a rubber spatula and starting in the center of the bowl stir the two mixtures together in ever-widening concentric circles. When it is smooth, pour over the remainder of the cream in two additions, stirring gently until the sauce is shiny and smooth again.
Allow the sauce to cool for about ten minutes before serving.
You can store the sauce in a tightly closed glass jar and keep in the fridge. Before serving, warm the sauce gently in a separate bowl either in the microwave or over a saucepan of simmering water.



Milk Chocolate Ice Cream
From David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop


8 ounces milk chocolate (at least 30% cocoa solids), finely chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
Big pinch of salt
4 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons Cognac (I skipped this)


Combine the milk chocolate  and cream in a large heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water.  Stir until chocolate is melted, then remove the bowl from the saucepan.  Set it aside with a mesh strainer over the top.  [I melted the chocolate and cream in the microwave and it was fine].


Warm the milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan.  In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.  Slowly pour the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.


Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scarping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula.  Pour the custard through the strainer into the milk chocolate mixture, add the Cognac (if using) and mix together.  Stir until cool over an ice bath.


Chill the mixture throughly in the refrigerator, then freeze in your ice cream maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails