Sunday, August 14, 2011

Baked Sunday Mornings: Grasshopper Bars



Just noticed something...this is our 200th post!  Wow.  Now, back to regularly scheduled programming.


Another Sunday, another Baked recipe that uses every bowl and utensil in the kitchen.  These were among the recipes that I was most excited to make because I love the combination of chocolate and mint.  However, I had a couple of significant issues with this recipe.  First, Kosher Creme de Menthe does not seem to exist.  Anyone out there know anything about that.  I figured I would just leave it out.  The filling tasted fine, but it did not whip up light and fluffy (as you can see in the pictures).  I don't know if the flour/sugar mixture was too hot when I added the butter, although it felt cool to the touch or what, but no matter how long I whipped it, it would not whip up and I didn't have the patience to try again this morning.  Then, when I put the glaze on, it seemed to melt the mint filling, so it got swirled into some of the glaze instead of creating a nice shiny top.


Despite all that, I really enjoyed the flavor of these.  I hope to try them again and try to get the mint filling right because I think it would have provided a nice balance of texture.  As they were, I thought they were a bit to heavy and fudgey, but overall yummy.


You can find the recipe and what other people baked at Baked Sunday Mornings.

5 comments:

  1. lol! i feel bad for not taking the time to make these, but reading your post, i'm kinda glad i didn't just because i hate to wash dishes! :) i'm happy that you enjoyed these! i'm sure i'll get around to making them soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had a few glitches, but the taste is what's most important and it sounds like yours were yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had some trouble with the filling too, but it whipped up beautifully after cooling off in the fridge for a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you ran into trouble with these. I had a little trouble with the buttercream, but in the end it worked out. I think the directions on this part could have been better. I don't know of any Kosher creme de menthe, but I wonder if you used a mint oil or extract you would get the mint flavor. I think these would be worth experimenting with. I'm glad you liked the flavor without the creme de menthe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really had to whip the heck out of my filling, but it fluffed in the end. I also left mine in the fridge for a few hours (mostly because my kids weren't cooperating) before I poured my chocolate.. I think that saved me in the end. I am glad you like the flavor at least... I think they look great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails