Thursday, July 14, 2011

Vive Le Crepe!



Happy Bastille Day! For those of you who fell asleep during 10th grade history, Bastille Day celebrates the storming of the Bastille, a notorious Parisian prison, on July 14th, 1789. I've never celebrated Bastille Day before, but for whatever reason I've been celebrating it all week this year. On Sunday, my friend Maya and I went to Fiaf's annual Bastille Day street fair. I can't believe I've never been before! Soooo much amazing French food from vendors from all over the city. In addition to a wine and cheese tasting (three glasses of wine, one beer or cocktail, and all the bread and cheese you wanted for just 15 dollars!), I also bought a caramel macaron and a chocolate eclair. And then later I had a little stomach ache. Worth it.




Maya also got a goat cheese and spinach crepe at the festival. It's so fun to watch crepes being made - there's a lot of artistry in spreading the batter into a paper-thin layer, cooking it to just the right shade of brownness, flipping it over and finally folding the finished pancake around the filling. So yesterday, when another friend and I decided to have a French-themed lunch in honor of Bastille Day, I was a little apprehensive that we had what it took to make thin, delicious, well-cooked crepes. But these couldn't have been simpler! Even my friend, who is a super-novice cook, could make them with relative ease. We quartered the recipe and had just the right amount for two medium-sized crepes. You can find the recipe here. Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails