Sunday, May 15, 2011

MSC Club May: Tiramisu Cupcakes



I'm back with the Martha Stewart Cupcake Club.  After taking the last few months off (there was a lot going on around the 15th of March and April, with Jewish holidays), I'm back and I'm really glad it is for tiramisu cupcakes.  I love, love, love tiramisu.  Whenever I am in a good Italian restaurant, I will usually order it for dessert.  I have never actually made tiramisu at home, although I have heard it is not so hard, but I have made Dorie's Tiramisu Cake (amazing -- you should totally try it!) and now these cupcakes.

The recipe for these looks really complicated, but they were much easier to put together than it would seem from reading the recipe.  I made 1/3 of the recipe and got 5 cupcakes. I made the frosting and the coffe syrup (minus the marsala wine) this morning.  As you can see in the cupcake cross section, I didn't let the syrup sink in enough.  As a result, the coffee flavor was really concentrated in the top of cake.  The frosting was delicious -- very light, with a little something extra from the mascarpone cheese.  Theses tasted a lot like tiramisu, and I think they would have been even better if I let the syrup sink into the cupcakes.  I may try one in a few hours and see if it made any difference.  Thanks to Jen at The Rookie Baker for the great pick!

2 comments:

  1. I had a hard time deciding when to say "enough is enough" to the syrup, too. It's probably a learned skill, you know, that you have to practice over and over to get it just right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a big tiramisu fan, which is why I thought to choose these. I thought for the amount of work involved, I'd be just as well off making a big pan of the real deal! Your cupcakes look delicious...thanks for baking with me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails