Friday, October 15, 2010

MSC October: Snickerdoodle Cupcakes or Yay for Cinnamon


I love cinnamon, so I was super excited to make these snickerdoodle cupcakes.  Katie from Katiecakes picked these cupcakes for October for the Martha Stewart Cupcake Club.  I really liked these cupcakes.  The only issue I had with them is that I had no cake flour, so I had to make a substitution, which made the cupcakes slightly gummy, but they still had good flavor.

I served these cupcakes two different times (I intended to make half the recipe, but forgot when I went to cream the butter).  One time, I used Martha's fluffy white frosting, sprinkled with cinnamon.  I served them on Sukkot and they were a hit with everyone in our very first sukkah.

Then, I put unfrosted cupcakes in the freezer, figuring I would deal with them before the October 15th posting date.  And then, we went to New York for an amazing wedding -- the bride is like our 4th sister -- and when I got back on Monday, I realized it was time for single-mommydom, which is not great for baking.  However, the other day I was finally able to whip up a new frosting.  This time, I decided to make cinnamon, to compliment the cinnamon flavor in the cupcakes. I'm sure there is a recipe out there somewhere, but I just made the fluffy white frosting and tossed in a bunch of cinnamon until it tasted right.  I really liked the way the cinnamon frosting tasted.  I also experimented with piping.  I haven't gotten it exactly right yet, but I'm working on it.

We took the cupcakes to our friends Mike and Kim's house, since they just had a new baby.  We had a yummy (but meat) dinner, so I didn't get to taste the cupcakes, but hopefully everyone there enjoyed them.

You can find the cupcake recipe here, on Martha's website.


4 comments:

  1. Great cupcake photo! I also found it challenging to find the cake flour! (FYI, it's in a box, not a bag!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cupcakes look great Rebecca! For future reference, I think there's a substitution for cake flour that involves all-purpose flour and cornstarch. I've heard it works pretty well.

    As for your question about the 7-min frosting - the only thing I can think of is that maybe you're not boiling the water/sugar/corn syrup long enough. Do you have a reliable candy thermometer to make sure it's at 230 F before you add it to the mixer? Are you beating the frosting in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so cute with their little white caps...I don't know how anyone could resist these. We loved them here...definite repeaters. Fun to hear about all your observations, etc., I learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You cakes look great too! Good piping job. I also have some in my freezer - I think I'll go with your cinnamon frosting idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails