Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Black and White and Pudding All Over


This week is the Jewish holiday of Sukkot. On Sukkot, Jews are commanded to make their sukkot (little booths) like their homes, and one of the ways to do that is to eat in your sukkah. That means all meals must be eaten outside and a meal is anything that involves bread or cake or things like that. Since we don't have a sukkah, and we have a baby, sometimes it a challenge to get to a sukkah, so I have to be creative about what to eat (especially for dessert) if I can't get to a sukkah. Since most cake and cookies are out, pudding seemed like a good option. I saw on Tuesdays with Dorie that they were making split level pudding this week (Tuesdays with Dorie is a group that bakes a recipe from Dorie each week and posts it on Tuesdays) and I decided to bake along.

I had a little trouble with the texture of this pudding. Although I have made ganache a number of times, this time, it came out kind of grainy. Don't know why. In addition, the vanilla pudding looked amazing after I cooked it on the stove and was just the right texture. However, the recipe says to put it back in the blender for a minute after cooking and all of a sudden it was liquid. I whisked in some more cornstarch, which, after letting it set in the fridge, I think was a mistake. It has more of the texture of flan than pudding now. I should have just left it after taking it off the stove.

Even with all the problems, it was delicious. I think I am going to try Dorie's chocolate pudding next. Don't you just love pudding?

You can find the recipe here, on the blog of the person who chose it for Tuesdays with Dorie. Let me know if you make this and if you solve the texture problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails