Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Adventures with the Ice Cream Maker: Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream

So, Rebecca got an ice cream maker for her graduation and has been experimenting with yummy ice cream recipes since. So far, she has made chocolate peanut butter ice cream from David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop and strawberry frozen yogurt, from the same book. Both have been very tasty, but neither have made it onto this blog. That's what moving will do for you.

However, Rebecca finally got around to making some ice cream and remembered to take a picture of it, so we finally get some ice cream on this blog. Apologies for no pictures of the finished product. This batch was churned at 11PM, and I wasn't about to stay up waiting for it to freeze so I could take a picture. Also, this way, you get to see my pretty ice cream maker.

This ice cream is chocolate ganache ice cream from page 430 of Dorie Greenspan's Baking from My Home to Yours. You can see the recipe here, from Google Books. This ice cream is delicious. Silky and smooth and it tastes just like ganache. I was a little worried, since I think I overcooked the custard a bit and it got lumpy, but it smoothed out in the ice cream maker. I also don't think I chilled it for long enough (hey, I wanted to go to bed), so the finished product is a bit soft, but even with all these mishaps, it is still delicious. Next time, I think I will put chocolate chunks in it, as Dorie suggests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails